Borrowing books or library materials for the first time
If you live, work, or attend school within the 23 cities of Tokyo, you can receive a library card. To issue, reissue, or change a card, please visit the library reception window in person. Please contact the library if you are unable to visit in person (due to illness, advanced age, etc.).
- Living within the 23 cities of Tokyo
- Please bring proof of identification with your address on it (such as a health insurance card, a valid driver's license or forign resident registration card).
- Working or attending school within the 23 cities of Tokyo
- Please bring proof of identification with your address (such as a health insurance card or valid driver's license) and another identification form that can confirm employment/school attendance (such as an employee ID card or a student ID card).
- Library Card
- The library card can be used at all Minato City libraries.
- Only the owner of a library card is allowed to use the card.
- The card may not be usable if it is bent or folded. Please take good care of it.
- When your address or telephone number is changed, or if you lose your card, please make arrangements to alter the card or replace it.
- If you do not use your card for more than 2 years, it may become invalid.
When you are borrowing
- Please present your library card with books, CDs, and/or other materials to the service counter.
Borrowing Period: 2 weeks
- Please confirm the return deadline.
- If you delay a return, you may be suspended from borrowing.
- Please take good care of the books and other materials borrowed from the library.
- If you lose or damage library property, you will be responsible to make reparation in kind for the books or materials. However, videos and DVDs will be handled differently, so please notify the service counter.
Number of books or materials that can be borrowed at one time(in the overall 6 libraries)
- Books, Magazines 10
- CDs 3 Titles
- Videos (Minato Library) 3 Titles
- DVDs (Minato Library) 2 Title
- When you are returning borrowed books or other materials
You may return books and other materials to any library in Minato City (6 locations). Please return them to the library service counter. To return books and magazines on a day the library is closed or after office hours, please put them in the return box. A Book Return Box is also located at the Lifelong Learning Center entrance (3-16-13 Shinbashi, Minato City), Minato City Local History Museum (4-6-2 Shirokanedai, Minato City) and the Swimming Pools Building entrance of the Minato City Sports Center (3-1-19, Shibaura, Minato City) in addition to the six city libraries. So please use whichever is convenient for you. Books cannot be returned from December 28 through January 4.
- For CDs/videos/DVDs, because they break easily, be sure to return them directly to the service counter.
- Please rewind the videos before returning them.
When you want to extend the borrowing period
- The borrowing period is extendable.
- The extension period is 2 weeks from the requested date.
- The request can be accepted by telephone.
- However, if we have a reservation for those materials or if the return date has passed, we will be unable to grant an extension request.
- An extension request can be made only once.
About the request and reservation of books/magazines/CDs and other materials
- If you cannot find a book or magazine in our library, submit a request/reservation card. You can reserve books and materials that are in the possession of Minato City libraries by using the search terminals in the libraries or on the Internet.
- If you cannot find the books you wish in the Minato City libraries, we will look for them in the metropolitan libraries or libraries in other cities within the Tokyo area.
Number of books that can be requested at one time (within the overall 6 libraries in Minato City)
- Books and Magazines: Up to 10 (The most recent issue of a magazine cannot be borrowed.)
- CD, Video, DVD: Up to a total of 8 titles (The number of CDs: up to 3 titles; Videos: 3 titles; DVDs: 2 title)
How to Make a Reservation
- Please fill in the "Books/Magazines Request Card" or "Audiovisual Media Reservation Card," and submit it to the service counter.
- A reservation may be made from the search terminal of each library.
- You can also a make a reservation on the Internet.
Search Terminal and Internet Reservation
- You will need to have a temporary password to make a reservation. Please note that the password is issued in person only.
Cautions when Making a Reservation
- A reservation by telephone will not be accepted.
- If the requested item is already being reserved for another member, you will be put on a waiting list.
- We will let you know as soon as the reserved material is available. Please visit the library within a week and complete the borrowing procedure.
* For details regarding the search terminal and Internet reservations, please refer to the "Minato City Libraries Reservation Service Information."
Copyright © 2006-2018 MINATO CITY.All right reserved
All rights are reserved for all contents, including published articles, pictures, and illustrations.