About using the libraries
- Can anyone use the libraries?
- Anyone can refer to library materials, listen to its CDs, and attend events presented by the libraries, such as movies and story hours. However, to borrow books, magazines, CDs, videos, DVDs, and other library materials and remove them from library premises, you must be registered as a member of the library.
- Must I be a resident of Minato City to be registered as a member?
- If you live, work, or attend school within the 23 cities of Tokyo, you can be registered as a member.
If you live within the 23 cities of Tokyo, please bring proof of identification with your address on it (such as a health insurance card, a valid driver's license or foreign resident registration card). If you live outside the 23 cities but work or attend school within them, please also bring another form of identification that will confirm employment/school attendance (such as an employee ID card or a student ID card).
To issue, reissue, or change a card, please visit the library reception window in person. Please contact the library if you are unable to visit in person (due to illness, advanced age, etc.).
- Where are the libraries in Minato City?
- What days and what times are the libraries open?
- The libraries are closed on the following days.
The libraries are open as follows. Except for year-end and New Year's holidays, the libraries are open on all holidays. (This practice was started in 2005.)
- The third Thursday of every month (for internal operations)
- Year-end and New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan. 3)
- Special operations period (10 days a year or less).
- Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Sundays, and holidays, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- I have a library card but have not used it for many years. Can I still use this card?
- If you do not use the library card for more than 2 years, it becomes invalid and you must register again.
Please follow the instructions given in the answer to the second question above.
- I lost my library card. What should I do?
- Please make arrangements with the library service counter. We will issue a form for you, "About the reissue of a library card." You will be able to borrow books or other materials with it. Please look for your library card very carefully. If you are unsuccessful in finding it, bring the "About the reissue of a library card" form when you visit the library again, and please advise the service counter that you were unable to find your card. We will then reissue it. When your address or telephone number is changed, or if you lose your card, please bring proof of identification with your new address (such as a health insurance card, a valid driver's license or foreign resident registration card).
- What kinds of materials may I borrow? Also, how many and for how long?
- The number of books or materials that can be borrowed at one time is as follows. These rules apply to the total you have on loan from all 6 libraries. The borrowing periods for all materials are 2 weeks.
- Books and magazines: Up to 10
- CDs: 3 titles
- DVD: 2 title
- Videos(Minato Library): 3 titles
- I would like to return books not to the library I borrowed them from, but to another library in Minato City.
- You may return books and other materials to any of the 6 libraries in Minato City, no matter which one of the 6 you borrowed them from.
For example, you can return the book you borrowed from the Minato Library to the Mita Library.
- I would like to return the books on a library's closed date. What should I do?
- There are "Book Return Box" containers near library entrances, the Lifelong Learning Center entrance and the Swimming Pools Building entrance of the Minato City Sports Center. Please deposit the books, magazines, or other materials in that box.
For CDs/videos/DVDs, because they break easily, please return them directly to the service counter during operating hours.
Further, if you borrowed from a library other than a Minato City library (such as the Tokyo Metropolitan Library or another city's library), please return those books or other materials to the service counter of that library.
For information on the dates a Minato City library will be closed, please refer to "Library Schedule" on the Library's home page.
A printed "Library Schedule" is also available at all library service counters.
- I would like to extend the loan period for materials I have borrowed (books, magazines, CDs, videos, DVDs).
- If it is before the return date, you can usually extend the borrowing period. Please request the extension from the service counter or by telephoning the library. The extension period will be 2 weeks from the date on which you make the request.
However, a borrowing period for materials cannot be extended if the request is made under any of the following conditions. Please confirm.
- The original return date has passed.
- We have reservations for the materials.
- We have already granted an extension of the original borrowing period for the materials.
- I have not returned the borrowed materials for a long time.
- The borrowing period is 2 weeks. Please return the materials before the due date. Others may be waiting for the materials you have borrowed.
We do not allow to lend any additional materials for those who have overdue material unreturned.
If your borrowed materials are past due, the library will contact you with a reminder to return them.
- I have lost (or damaged) the materials I borrowed from the library.
- Please inform the service counter accordingly. You will be asked to fill in a loss report. If something has been lost or damaged as a result of your carelessness, you will be asked to make reparation in kind for the item(s),. If you cannot replace the lost material(s) with something similar, the library will specify what materials you will need to compensate.
However, videos and DVDs will be handled differently from books and CDs because of copyright compensatory payments. Please make arrangements with the library service counter.
- I would like to know what kind of materials are available at the library.
- There are 3 ways to find materials in the library:
- Use the "Search Terminals" at any of the 6 libraries.
- Use the "Search" page of the Library's home page. -> Link to the "Search" page
- Ask the librarian.
- I would like to reserve library materials.
- There are 3 ways to reserve library materials.
If you make a reservation by method (1) or (2), you will be required to input your password.
Please make arrangements with the library service counter.
- Use the library's "Search Terminal."
- Make reservations on the Library's home page. -> Link to the "Search" page
- Fill out a "Request/Reservation Card" at the library, and submit it to the service counter.
- I cannot find the materials I want at any of the Minato City Libraries.
- Please fill in the "Request/Reservation Card" at the library and submit it to the service counter. We will ask the Tokyo Metropolitan Library or libraries in other cities to look for it, or we may consider purchasing it. However, please note that we might not be able to respond to your request, or it may take a long time for us to respond.
Moreover, we do not accept requests for CDs, videos, or DVDs unless we can supply them from one of the Minato City libraries.
- I would like to borrow some materials from the National Diet Library.
- You can request materials from the National Diet Library, but they are for reference only and may be used only in the library. You cannot remove them from the library premises; neither are you allowed to make copies of these materials.
About Internet Reservations
- I have forgot my password.
- The password is issued only to one specific person. Therefore if you forget your password, you must make arrangements for another one to be issued.
- I have made a reservation for some materials at the library, and the reservation inquiry screen shows [Reservation confirmed], but I have received no e-mail from the library informing me of the confirmation.
- There are several reasons for this situation.
- Your e-mail address may be incorrect. If it is, the library will contact you by phone. Please correct the e-mail address on the library's home page or by using the "Mail Address Change" on the library's "Search Terminal."
- If you set your e-mail to decline incoming mail that is not approved as being from an authorized e-mail correspondent or that is not an approved domain to protect against "unwanted e-mail or spam," specify the below address and domain on your computer as receivable.
E-mail Address: yoyaku.lib.city.minato.tokyo.jp
- Also, if you are using Web mail, it may generate e-mail errors.
Copyright © 2006 MINATO CITY.All right reserved
All rights are reserved for all contents, including published articles, pictures, and illustrations.