About using the libraries
- Can anyone use the libraries?
- Anyone can refer to library materials, listen to its CDs, watch its DVDs, and attend events presented by the libraries, such as movies and story hours. However, to borrow books, magazines, CDs, videos, DVDs, and other library materials and remove them from library premises, you must be registered as a member of the library.
Only people registered as living, working or attending school in Minato City can use the Minato City Digital Library (ebook service).
- Must I be a resident of Minato City to be registered as a member?
- If you live, work, or attend school within the 23 cities of Tokyo, you can be registered as a member.
To issue, reissue, or change your library card registration, please apply by mail or in person at our reception desk. Please follow the page "How to Use the Library / Using the Materials."
- Where are the libraries in Minato City?
- Minato City has 6 libraries. For details regarding their locations and access maps, please refer to Links to Each Library page.
Minato Mita Azabu Akasaka Takanawa Konan
- What days and what times are the libraries open?
- The libraries are closed on the following days.
- The third Thursday of every month (for internal operations)
- Year-end and New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan. 3)
- Special operations period (10 days a year or less).
- Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Sundays, and holidays, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- I have a library card but have not used it for many years. Can I still use this card?
- The library card is valid for 2 years. If the library card expires, you will not be able to lend or reserve materials. If a year passes since the expiration date, you will have to register again as a new user.
Please follow the page "How to Use the Library / Using the Materials."
- I lost my library card. What should I do?
- Please make arrangements with the library service counter. We will issue a form for you, "About the reissue of a library card." You will be able to borrow books or other materials with it. Please look for your library card very carefully. If you are unsuccessful in finding it, bring the "About the reissue of a library card" form when you visit the library again, and please advise the service counter that you were unable to find your card. We will then reissue it. Please follow the page "How to Use the Library / Using the Materials."
- Can I use my business card as proof of employment?
- You cannot use your business card only as proof of employment. Please prepare a document with which the location of your workplace can be confirmed, such as your employment ID or certificate of employment. If the location of your workplace cannot be confirmed on your document, then you can use your business card as a supplementary document to confirm the address.
- What kinds of materials may I borrow? Also, how many and for how long?
- The number of books or materials that can be borrowed at one time is as follows. These rules apply to the total you have on loan from all 6 libraries. The borrowing periods for all materials are 2 weeks.
- Books and magazines: Up to 15
- CDs: 5 titles
- DVD: 2 titles
- Videos(Minato Library): 3 titles
- I would like to return books not to the library I borrowed them from, but to another library in Minato City.
- You may return books and other materials to any of the 6 libraries in Minato City, no matter which one of the 6 you borrowed them from.
For example, you can return the book you borrowed from the Minato Library to the Mita Library.
- I would like to return the books on a library's closed date. What should I do?
- There are "Book Return Box" containers near library entrances, the Lifelong Learning Center entrance, the Swimming Pools Building entrance of the Minato City Sports Center, Shibaura-konan Civic Center entrance and Minato City Local History Museum entrance. Please deposit the books, magazines, or other materials in that box.
For CDs/videos/DVDs, because they break easily, please return them directly to the service counter during operating hours.
Further, if you borrowed from a library other than a Minato City library (such as the Tokyo Metropolitan Library or another city's library), please return those books or other materials to the service counter of that library.
For information on the dates a Minato City library will be closed, please refer to "Library Schedule" on the Library's home page.
A printed "Library Schedule" is also available at all library service counters.
- I would like to extend the loan period for materials I have borrowed (books, magazines, CDs, videos, DVDs).
- If it is before the return date, you can usually extend the borrowing period. Please request the extension from the service counter or by telephoning the library. The extension period will be 2 weeks from the date on which you make the request.
However, a borrowing period for materials cannot be extended if the request is made under any of the following conditions. Please confirm.
- The original return date has passed.
- We have reservations for the materials.
- We have already granted an extension of the original borrowing period for the materials.
- I have not returned the borrowed materials for a long time.
- The borrowing period is 2 weeks. Please return the materials before the due date. Others may be waiting for the materials you have borrowed.
We do not allow to lend any additional materials for those who have overdue material unreturned.
If your borrowed materials are past due, the library will contact you with a reminder to return them.
- I have lost (or damaged) the materials I borrowed from the library.
- Please inform the service counter accordingly. You will be asked to fill in a loss report. If something has been lost or damaged as a result of your carelessness, you will be asked to make reparation in kind for the item(s),. If you cannot replace the lost material(s) with something similar, the library will specify what materials you will need to compensate.
However, videos and DVDs will be handled differently from books and CDs because of copyright compensatory payments. Please make arrangements with the library service counter.
- I would like to know what kind of materials are available at the library.
- There are 3 ways to find materials in the library:
- Use the "Search Terminals" at any of the 6 libraries.
- Use the "Search" page of the Library's home page. -> Link to the "Search" page
- Ask the librarian.
- I would like to reserve library materials.
- There are 3 ways to reserve library materials.
- Use the library's "Search Terminal."
- Make reservations on the Library's home page. -> Link to the "Search" page
- Fill out a "Request/Reservation Card" at the library, and submit it to the service counter.
- I cannot find the materials I want at any of the Minato City Libraries.
- Please use the Web Request Form. Otherwise, please fill in the "Request/Reservation Card" at the library and submit it to the service counter. We will ask the Tokyo Metropolitan Library or libraries in other cities to look for it, or we may consider purchasing it. However, please note that we might not be able to respond to your request, or it may take a long time for us to respond.
Moreover, we do not accept requests for CDs, videos, or DVDs unless we can supply them from one of the Minato City libraries. Regarding ebooks, we do not accept requests for materials other than those in the Minato City Digital Library.
- I would like to borrow some materials from the National Diet Library.
- You can request materials from the National Diet Library, but they are for reference only and may be used only in the library. You cannot remove them from the library premises; neither are you allowed to make copies of these materials.
About Internet Reservations
- I have forgot my password.
- The password is issued only to one specific person. Therefore if you forget your password, you must make arrangements for another one to be issued.
- I have made a reservation for some materials at the library, and the reservation inquiry screen shows [Reservation confirmed], but I have received no e-mail from the library informing me of the confirmation.
- There are several reasons for this situation.
- Your e-mail address may be incorrect. If it is, the library will contact you by phone. Please correct the e-mail address on the library's home page or by using the "Mail Address Change" on the library's "Search Terminal."
- If you set your e-mail to decline incoming mail that is not approved as being from an authorized e-mail correspondent or that is not an approved domain to protect against "unwanted e-mail or spam," specify the below address and domain on your computer as receivable.
E-mail Address: yoyaku.lib.city.minato.tokyo.jp
- Also, if you are using Web mail, it may generate e-mail errors.
About Minato City Digital Library
- I cannot log in to the Minato City Digital Library.
- Only people registered as living, working or attending school in Minato City can use the Minato City Digital Library. Please inquire if you are unsure of your registered status.